Saturday, October 16, 2010

And so my life in France continues!

          It's been quite a while since I've updated my blog, so I'm taking this opportunity to do so...At this point, I feel as if I have reached a sense of normalcy with my life here in France (if you didn't think that was possible, it definitely is). As far as school goes, I added another class--Etudes Irlandaises, in which I will study Irish literature and civilization. I frantically ran around Lille III last Tuesday trying to find my classroom and finally stumbled upon it, and even managed to beat the teacher to class ;) She was sooo welcoming though, even though I was three weeks late attending the class! Several of my L3 French friends were in there, so I definitely felt comfortable and ready to take on the class. My first lesson in the class was about the economy in Ireland back in the 18th century...and we learned about the Guinness brewery...haha! Definitely an interesting class!
           My DEFI class decided to stress me out a lot by giving me this silly paper assignment requiring us to be like journalists...so I got to break out my AP stylebook knowledge from Winnie Spitza's class last year...thanks for that one. Anyways, it was a tough assignment, but it was even tougher because I had stayed out the night before attending my first club! My British friend Victoria was turning 21 so everyone went out to celebrate with her! It was so fun! I had no idea what to really expect when going to a club...there were a lot of people at La Boucherie (which is where we went) and they played the best music ever!!! And everyone just had the best time dancing and being all together!! But needless to say I was completely exhausted and danced out by Friday morning! We ended up going to La Boucherie again on Saturday night just because we could! And we missed the last metro at Gare Lille Flandres, and ended up catching a taxi back to Triolo...and I didn't get home til 5am. UGH! I'm such an old woman...staying out late isn't my forte if you will...
          Yesterday I had my medical appointment at the immigration office. It was definitely interesting trying to get there. But I had to first buy some stamp that cost 55 euros!!! AHHHH. Ridiculous if you ask me. Anyways, I had to take the metro to the Gare Lille Flandres station, and then track down the tram...which i found thank goodness!!! I then rode it to the immigration office. I arrived at 12:40ish for my 1:30 appointment just because I didn't want to be late. But to my surprise, the office was closed until 2pm...Isn't that interesting. A lot of other people showed up at the office and we were all equally confused. Rosalind ended up coming as well so it was nice to have a friend there!! They ended up opening just before 1:30 so we didn't have to wait all that long...After handing the receptionist my paper work, I went to a sitting room with a bunch of other people looking to get their visas verified as well. When I was sitting in there, I saw another American...I knew she was American because she was wearing EXPRESS jeans!!!!!!!!! I got super excited! As for the medical exam, they put me through an xray machine and measured my height and weight, and asked me if I smoke....eeeasy! Afterwards, Rosalind and I travelled back to Euralille and had a petit cafe creme and a pastry to celebrate the end of immigration stuff. It was lovely :) I then took the rest of the afternoon to look around Euralille.
         OH! I almost forgot! So, Tuesday i was doing laundry. I put my things in the dryer and go upstairs to my room to watch an episode of Gossip Girl while I was waiting. When I returned to the laundry room, to my dismay, my University of Kentucky laundry bag and most favorite Express shirt were missing in action. I was definitely not a happy camper. I looked all over the room and they were just gone. After crying a little bit, I decided that they will be remembered fondly and life goes on...because yesterday at Euralille, I went into a store called Andiamo and found the CUTEST laundry bag ever!!!! It's a black and white print of London and it has red telephone booths on it. So there. Yesss for problem solving and making things better.
          Thursday night was the International Soiree, which was a huge party organized by the Ulysse Association at school! We all dressed up and looked faaaaaabulous and met up in front of the Palais des Beaux Arts to all walk together to Duke's club. Everyone was there and we all ate a small dinner before the party actually started. We had something that reminded me of Jambalaya and sarah, brian and i all recognized the smell...it smelled like New Orleans!!!! :D but sadly I think it was paeya. But it was still delicious! After mingling a little while, we finally hit the dancefloor to some AWESOME music. Since I was missing Ball on the Belle at BU, I had to make this dance count!!!! But it was definitely the best night in Lille so far!! They played tons of my favorite songs, and I got to dance with some of the amaaazing friends that I've met here in Lille. I'll always remember that night!!
         So that's all I can think of right now....Lots of things coming up soon though! Brian's birthday party tonight...and Steve is coming to France a week from today!!!!!!!!!!! :D Bon week-end :D

No comments:

Post a Comment