Sunday, December 12, 2010

Down to only a week...

      Well, believe it or not, I'm on to my last week in France. For me, it seems like I was just counting down the days to coming here. When they say a semester abroad flies by, they were 100% accurate. Except for the whole final exam time thing. Ugh. But that's not the point of this post...hahaha! I find it quite bizarre to think about the concept of going home. I hear the shell shock is just as bad as when you come to another country. For me, I feel  like I've been living in the Twilight Zone for the past 4 months. But I am so lucky to have had the opportunity to come and live abroad for a whole semester. Even though the actual university of Lille III hasn't really impressed me, I have loved the city and all of the amazing and wonderful friends I have made while being here. I have certainly learned a lot about being independent and being completely on your own to accomplish things. I think that I have proved to myself and others around me (and at home) that I can handle being an independent adult. I mean, for heaven's sake, I've lived in a foreign country for 4 whole months!!
      I must say though, I am ready to come back to America. Being in France has definitely taught me to appreciate all that I have and am blessed with in the US. Never again will I complain about Wal-Mart. Hahaha! I also am grateful for Bellarmine. Good grief I am so lucky to attend such a superb institution!!! I think I have found that I value organization...Being unorganized when it comes to things such as academic matters can be terribly detrimental to one's mental sanity and stability. I have really loved meeting so many amazing people. Shout out to Sarah Miller (Ole Miss) who has stuck by me through everything here. She deals with my odd quirks, tears of homesickness and exasperation, as well as some of the best times I've ever had. I'll never forget our (nearly) weekly shopping trips to Euralille and V2. And the delicious pastries and cups of tea that we have consumed in four months! :) She has been my real confidante here and I will surely miss my little southern belle when I go home!
       I am also so excited that I met so many British people and have become such good friends with them. And my many wonderful French friends :) I seriously have never felt so lucky or blessed in my whoooole life. I can easily say that my friends here are like family to me. We all became so close so quickly, and they are the only ones who will truly understand what it is like to live abroad and be in Lille, France. I am a little nervous about my return to home though...For all of you who will see me when I return home, I apologize for not being very talkative about my trip abroad for a little while. However the statement, "So tell me about France!" will not fly. I can't describe 4 months to you. Ask me about something specifically, and I will tell you. But really, this experience has changed my life forever and I can't wait to share some of my stories that I have been to lazy to put up on my blog here.
       I can't wait until Christmas though!!! Since my mom, dad and sis won't be coming to Louisville until the 26th, I will be going to Cincinnati to spend Christmas with Steve and his family! I am SO excited!!!! I hope Santa can find me all the way up there in Ohio ;) And my 21st birthday is coming up!! Two weeks from today! I feel extremely old though...but not as old as BRIAN STACY (if he sees this...fyi it's an ongoing joke.) Anyways, I am so extremely proud of me and Steve for making it through my study abroad semester!!! I will tell the FLIS 201 (study abroad class that I am student advising for next semester) that it IS possible to maintain an awesome relationship while abroad!!! :)
      Hmmm I am not sure where else to go with this post. But this week is going to be extremely busy with exams and packing and moving out. Eeeeek. And then I get to do the voyage to Brussels again next Monday. Pray for no snow. I mean NONE. This world traveler can't afford to miss her big metal bird back to the States. All you people going back to England on a 3 hour trainride: No Pity. Sorry. My total travel time: 25 hours. GROSS. Well, hopefully I'll post one last time before I leave here!
"Oh the sun shines bright on My Old Kentucky Home..."

No comments:

Post a Comment